Savory, and melt-in-your mouth delicious, these sweet potato latkes are delicious when combined with cinnamon and brown sugar. This is a great alternatives to the traditional potato latke for Hanukkah – and the best part is that I had all of the ingredients in the house so I didn’t have to buy anything!
When making these latkes, I realized that they need a lot of attention. The mixture was a little runny and wet, so when making these make sure to blot out extra moisture and oil. It took me about three tries to get it right (and it’s still not perfect.)
See the recipe below:
Ingredients: (Serves 8)
- 2 sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Place sweet potatoes in a colander. Place a cheesecloth over the potatoes, and squeeze the potatoes to release as much liquid as possible. Use paper towels to blot excess moisture if necessary or add a little flour (important step!)
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Form mixture into small pancake size cakes, and fry in hot oil. Flip cakes after 5 minutes (when bottom is browned) and brown other side. Drain on paper towels, and serve when hot!
Sweet Potato Latkes
These can be served with plain Greek yogurt or applesauce. This recipe will make about 8-10 latkes, depending on size, and in my case, how much experience you have making these delicious fried treats!
This recipe is inspired by: AllRecipes and received a 4-star rating and 36 reviews. Enjoy and Happy Hanukkah! What is your favorite latke recipe?
One thought on “Sweet ‘n’ Savory Potato Latkes”