This weekend was a relaxing one for me as I’m fighting off a pesky cold… How many more days until summer?
We can pretend summer is here by making a warm weather classic, fish tacos! Nothing like a hot, juicy taco brings me back to carefree summer days by the water.
This healthy taco has flavors of honey and a kick of hot sauce just to keep things interesting. And, yes, I did say healthy taco! Check out the recipe and ingredients below.
Salmon Tacos with Honey-Lime Slaw
- Wild Alaskan salmon
- 1 ripe avocado
- Small whole wheat tortillas (or hard shell if you prefer that)
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Squeeze from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Sririacha for your sauce below
Spice it up with some paprika, cayenne pepper, and sririacha chili sauce.
Try making your own sauce with sririacha, honey, and a squeeze of lime for your salad/slaw. If you have a favorite sauce from your own fridge that you want to use, that’s good too.
- Cabbage salad mix from a bag (your choice, 4-5 cups)
- Half a white onion, cut in small slivers
- Half an avocado
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- Sriracha drizzled on top
- 1-2 Jalapeños (depending on how much you can handle it;)
1. Start cooking your salmon in a skillet. Cut off the skin if necessary; this comes off more easily with a knife if you heat it in the skillet first. For a tasty glaze, pour some honey mustard and/or spicy sauce from the ingredients list above.
2. Make the salad slaw. Cut up the avocado, jalapeños, and lime for some juice. See ingredients above and add more of anything you like to fire up your taste buds.
3. Start assembling your dream taco.
Did I leave anything out or was it really that easy? Of course, if you really want that summer vibe, drink it with a corona light and lime.
Cheers to tacos in the middle of winter!
Note: I also made brussels sprouts next to my salmon tacos and I was munching on them while I was cooking. It’s a tasty appetizer to complement your taco.