I love granola. You know those Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Peanut granola bars? I could eat them everyday as a snack. Sadly, there’s over ten grams of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and fake coloring in these tasty bars.
Knowing that this isn’t exactly nutritious, I decided to make my own granola to enjoy in small portions. This recipe is inspired by Cooking Classy’s Peanut Butter Granola recipe. I added more to this recipe by adding extra spices and protein-rich almonds. Check it out below!
- 2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- Sprinkle cinnamon ginger, citrus, nutmeg, cloves for some added spice
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pour oats into a mixing bowl, set aside.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter, honey and brown sugar and heat mixture in microwave until smooth and creamy, for about 25 seconds.
4. Pour mixture over oats in mixing bowl and toss mixture with a spoon until evenly coated.
5. Spread mixture onto foil and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, for about 18 – 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely, so it gets crunchy, and store in an airtight container.
It would be so much easier (and cheaper) to just make your own granola to snack on during the week, especially when you get those 3 pm cravings. What do you think? Let me know by liking, sharing, or leaving me a comment below!
P.S. If you’re having trouble waking up in the morning and need some much needed inspiration, subscribe to Smart Girls Group Newsletter to add some sunshine to your inbox. I write for Wellness Wednesday, Smart Girls Glow, and I love how this newsletter continues to inspire me everyday.