It’s been so cold outside… and all I want to do is turn on the oven and bake something. Anything. Preferably something healthy and delicious. After viewing Food Babe’s Sweet Potato Skins, I decided to make them on my own. They were surprisingly easy to make and satisfying.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or daiya, dairy-free cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Soften each sweet potato by placing in microwave for 3 minutes. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, in a bowl, make the guacamole topping. Start by mashing the avocado and then add the tomato, onion, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Put to the side.
4. When the sweet potatoes are done, take them out of the oven. Cut each one in half and scoop out half of the filling. Scoop the black beans and cheese on each sweet potato half and place back in the oven to melt the cheese, 3-4 minutes.
5. Take out of the oven and top with a scoop of guacamole.
As you can see, I had a lot of extra filling so I stuffed two peppers with beans and leftover quinoa. I also put the scooped out sweet potato filling in a bowl to heat up later this week! Hope you enjoy this hearty meal!